Thursday, November 30, 2006

Virtualization on Steroids

There....now I finally have a post with the word virtualization in the title!

I don't post much on the topic because there is so much coverage on it. It is very cool technology and will hopefully not get over-hyped.

Another topic that I am extremely interested in is Grid technology. If you are unfamiliar with it, check out the Grid Cafe. The purpose behind this post is a cool article I read recently at Byte and Switch. It discusses an EverGrid virtualization product due out next year. "By positioning its software between the application and the operating system, instead of between operating system and hardware, EverGrid claims to avoid the performance constraints of a hypervisor, which can slow down processors as it handles different virtualization tasks."

The combination of grid (massively scalable architecture) and virtualization technologies has me very intrigued. Check out the article here.

No comments: