Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Data Center Design

As I read the Pingdom article about "8 ways to make data centers less boring"....I recalled a TED talk I watched recently. The talk was from Don Norman, and I later learned that it was a speech from 2003! Anyway, it was a Really good talk and made me think about the overall design of a data center and how it makes you feel when seeing it.

I work in the colo industry, so we have to sell the data center as a product and after listening to Don Norman I can see how design, architecture and a number of other details effect how the data center is experienced by customers and employees alike.

Even the companies making data center containers today pay attention to the outside colors, layout of racks and shiny metal curves inside. Functionality, efficiency and cost will always trump .... because utlimately the data center has a sole purpose.....but why not put the little bit of effort into the principles that Don talks about and make it even better.

Check out Don's TED Talk here

P.S.: The 2008 talk from Mike Rowe (host of Dirty Jobs) is still by FAR the best one I have seen.

1 comment:

Rory Wallwork said...

Wow, you've got some great content here! Thanks for sharing it!

I was thinking, since our sites share very similar content, would you be interested in a links/blogroll exchange? I'll put your site on mine if you'll put mine in your links or blogroll section. My site:

Computer Room Design

Let me know if you're interested! You can simply leave a comment on my site if you'd like.

Thanks in advance,

Rory