Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Containerized Data Center Marketing Growing

Byte & Switch has an article about containerized data centers boosting cloud computing. The article talks about a growing market, with offerings from Sun, Rackable, and Verari. They report that Rackable is gearing up orders in the second half of this year for containers "intended for Yahoo or perhaps Amazon".
"There are power claims, too: Verari's Forest Container requires 400,000 watts, which the vendor says is 110 percent more efficient than regular data centers."
I know in past posts I have started to really come around to the container model -- but I still struggle with it. Unless it is in a situation like Microsoft is using them, I really don't get how it is secure or is safe against natural disasters or other threats.
If I can ever get some free time I want to build a matrix comparison of the containers and 'try' to do an apples to apples comparison.

Check out the Byte & Switch article here.

No comments: