Sunday, January 11, 2009

January Cloud Report

I promised myself I wasn't going to make any more blog posts about cloud computing. Hopefully my New Years resolutions will last longer.

I really don't want to get into the topic too deeply, but it is the cause for me not making any blog posts most of this past week! I have been too busy reading other blogs and thoughts & videos on clouds!

Here is what I do believe on the topic:
  1. Cloud Computing is still around 60+ percent marketing hype.
  2. I believe about 60+ percent of the article Chuck Goolsbee wrote on clouds.
  3. I think 2008 over-hyped the cloud, but 2009 and the economy have a chance to filter out the fluff and leave the companies and technologies that truly have a chance to make a difference.
  4. I believe the post from Irving Wladawsky-Berger is (still) a very good definition/discussion of cloud computing.
  5. I think the security aspect of virtualization and cloud computing needs some serious attention (i.e.: well.... i.e. most everything Christofer Hoff points out)
I never wanted to do the typical 'definition' of cloud computing, because it seemed so much beyond a simplistic definition. However.... I ran across a video that I have to admit does a pretty decent job. The convergence of 3 things: virtualization, utility computing, and Software as a Service.

Anyway .... I really don't want to offer anymore commentary; because what I have been so busy reading the past few days is pretty interesting to follow. Here is the path I took:
  1. GoGrid Blog -- CloudCenters
  2. Michael Sheehan's response to the Chuck Goolsbee article on SearchDataCenter.com
  3. Silicon Alley Insider: once again proving that 'Cloud' and 'Internet' are synonymous.
  4. The Wikipedia page for Cloud Computing: proving that it is an amazingly broad concept.
  5. Thinking out Cloud: commentary from Geva Perry on appropriate use and analysis of CapEx and OpEx in infrastructure comparisons. I really liked this one.
  6. James Urqhart -- further commentary on Amazon AWS, GoGrid and IaaS.
"IF" I post any more on Cloud Computing I am going to limit it to the data center aspect only.

3 comments:

joshua said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


sharon

Term Life Insurance

kiloi said...

tn chaussuresEnter the necessary language translation, up to 200 bytes winter, moves frequently in China, nike chaussures showing that the deep strategy of the Chinese market. Harvard Business School, nike tnaccording to the relevant survey data show that in recent years the Chinese market three brands, Adidas, mens clothingpolo shirts Li Ning market share at 21 percent, respectively, 20%, 17%. The brand is first-line to three lines of urban competition for mutual penetration. Side of theworld,announced layoffs, while China's large-scale facilities fists. The sporting goods giant Nike's every move in the winter will be fully exposed its strategy. Years later, the Nike, Inc. announced the world's Fan

crazyloko said...

China Wholesalers has been described as the world’s factory. buy products wholesaleThis phenomenom is typified by the rise ofbusiness. Incredible range of products available with China Wholesale “Low Price and High Quality” not only reaches directly to their target clients worldwide but also ensures that wholesale from china from China means margins you cannot find elsewhere and China Wholesale will skyroket your profits.china wholesale productsbuy china wholesalewholesale chinawholesale productsbuy products