Sunday, January 11, 2009

January Cloud Report

I promised myself I wasn't going to make any more blog posts about cloud computing. Hopefully my New Years resolutions will last longer.

I really don't want to get into the topic too deeply, but it is the cause for me not making any blog posts most of this past week! I have been too busy reading other blogs and thoughts & videos on clouds!

Here is what I do believe on the topic:
  1. Cloud Computing is still around 60+ percent marketing hype.
  2. I believe about 60+ percent of the article Chuck Goolsbee wrote on clouds.
  3. I think 2008 over-hyped the cloud, but 2009 and the economy have a chance to filter out the fluff and leave the companies and technologies that truly have a chance to make a difference.
  4. I believe the post from Irving Wladawsky-Berger is (still) a very good definition/discussion of cloud computing.
  5. I think the security aspect of virtualization and cloud computing needs some serious attention (i.e.: well.... i.e. most everything Christofer Hoff points out)
I never wanted to do the typical 'definition' of cloud computing, because it seemed so much beyond a simplistic definition. However.... I ran across a video that I have to admit does a pretty decent job. The convergence of 3 things: virtualization, utility computing, and Software as a Service.

Anyway .... I really don't want to offer anymore commentary; because what I have been so busy reading the past few days is pretty interesting to follow. Here is the path I took:
  1. GoGrid Blog -- CloudCenters
  2. Michael Sheehan's response to the Chuck Goolsbee article on SearchDataCenter.com
  3. Silicon Alley Insider: once again proving that 'Cloud' and 'Internet' are synonymous.
  4. The Wikipedia page for Cloud Computing: proving that it is an amazingly broad concept.
  5. Thinking out Cloud: commentary from Geva Perry on appropriate use and analysis of CapEx and OpEx in infrastructure comparisons. I really liked this one.
  6. James Urqhart -- further commentary on Amazon AWS, GoGrid and IaaS.
"IF" I post any more on Cloud Computing I am going to limit it to the data center aspect only.

No comments: